varusteleka.fi
It is currently 2014.04.25. 00:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AMAZING INJURIES
PostPosted: 2011.10.13. 06:50 

Hullo Nsipa

Rob Hutchinson completed his NS (IANS 4) after having the eye removed at Andrew Fleming Hospital. He moved to NZ some years after when Zim became untenable for him and his family. He has settled well there and all are doing ok.

I have some photos of the incidents but am having a bit of difficulty in uploading them. Will persevere!

Regards

Madziro

Announcement

New Rhodesian Forum
New Rhodesian Net 2009-14

PostPosted: 2011.10.13. 14:00 
Chief Moderator

I was personally injured during the war and spent almost 3 months in ward B4 at Andrew Flemming Hospital in Salisbury. I won't go into the details of my injuries but there are a few that I recall from guys I met in the hospital.

In particular there was one guy, John S ... RLI - involved in a skirmish in the Honde Valley he and his squad ran into a brabed wire fence... whilst negotiating the fence John exposed his posterior and was rewarded with one round of 7.62 Intermediate through both cheeks - let's call it free airconditioning. :oops:
John was the life of the ward, we used to go visit our buddies and of course the ladies wards, and travel in wheel chairs... John would sit inside a small inner-tube which permitted sitting without actually allowing his bum to come in contact with the seat.
Anyway, John was in hospital for only a short time and was missed when he left. While he was on convalesent leave he would visit us from time to time until he was redeployed to his unit.

About a year later another friend of mine was injured - shot through the knees, I went to Andrew Flemming to visit him when I was on R&R. As I exited the elevator I walked straight into John... he was wearing hospital PJ's an was sitting in a wheel chair. Of course I asked him what the hell he was doing there... His reply... He was involved in yet another fire-fight and had dived for cover. A grenade was tossed in his direction and he was hit with some schrapnel.. Over a coffee in the hospital Canteen we discussed his injuries and, you guessed it... he took the majority of the blast in his bum again. :cry:

John, always the joker, was quick to point out that whilst I could show off my scars... the showing off of his would likely lead to an arrest for public indecency.
:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: 2012.06.24. 12:18 
Core Member

madziro wrote:
This is a personal story and it was quite a difficult decision to submit it!! The cap was the one that I was wearing at the time. Being a patriotic fellow I always wore the title and the round hit it between the E and the S!

THE WEDZA BASH

A further big incursion of guerrillas had taken place from Mozambique and they deployed in the vicinity of Wedza. B Troop ARU arrived at Wedza as part of a force to counter the enemy deployment. Orders were given a recce was done to determine a suitable place to set up a Tac HQ and temporary base. We started immediate patrols to try and locate the group of terrorists. The weather was rather rainy but in some respects helped us. On two occasions we picked up information of a group of about twenty guerrillas or more. One of the sections of B Troop arrested two of the gang’s scouts (Mujibas). At one instance we were only minutes behind them but rain washed away the tracks and they were lost.

The two Mujibas were interrogated and information was obtained that indicated that the one large gang was operating to the south in the African Purchase Area. I decided that more accurate information was needed and planned to go to the Purchase Area and look around for myself. We were fortunate enough to also have elements of the BSAP in the area and I explained my plan to them. We set off in a two-vehicle convoy. I took the lead in my Land Rover with George Mupambwa, my machine gunner carrying a MAG, next to me. In a Leopard was the BSAP man, an Intaf colleague and two DAs. We drove southwards and entered the area where the Mujibas said the group was operating. On one farm I noticed a group of eight or nine young men sitting around doing nothing. It was suspicious as one never saw any young men, as they were either away working or training to be guerrillas. Five of the most suspicious looking men were arrested and put in the back of the Land Rover under the canopy so that they would not be seen by the locals and we started on the return journey to the camp. The Leopard vehicle was leading this time.

The group of guerrillas we had been hunting found us instead. They had carefully chosen a long ridge parallel to the road with ample cover and waited for us to return. One might wonder why the same road was used. The answer is simple; it was the only one both into and out of the Purchase Area. The terrorists opened fire. In the next instant I felt as if somebody had suddenly and violently pushed me backwards. There were several bullet holes in the windscreen right in front of me. I turned around to give George the order to open fire. George had been hit approximately eight times in the head and chest. His face and chest was a mess. He had died instantly. Things tended to happen in slow motion thereafter. I drove out of the killing ground, stopped the Land Rover, got out and returned fire. My head was not functioning properly and after firing approximately seven rounds I had an inexplicable need to change the magazine on my rifle. I then took off my cammo cap. The elastic had dammed up a quantity of blood, which now poured down all over me. Head wounds bleed copiously and blood was everywhere on my shirt, webbing and rifle. I then realised that I had been shot in the head. Things were not so well. There were also minor shrapnel wounds to my arm and side.

The four men in the Leopard ahead of me had heard the shooting and returned to render assistance. One of the young INTAF chaps gave chase on foot but ran out of ammunition; luckily for him, as there were too many for one person to take on. He then rejoined the group. The area was cleared and George and I were taken back to our Tac HQ from where an Allouette was brought in to casevac me to the nearest hospital (Umtali). The medic put me onto a stretcher and the chaps loaded me into the helicopter. Being quite tall my head stuck out one end and my feet the other. I remember the medic trying to get a drip into my arm as we were flying but he was not successful, as the veins had collapsed! Umtali Hospital was geared up for casevacs. I was taken into theatre and a Medical Corps captain (doctor type) sorted me out. I can vaguely remember the fact that he was an American and was calmly talking while sticking a needle into me in the operating theatre. He took the round out and one of the nurses brought it to me a day later while in a ward recuperating. The doctor explained that the round had begun to split open as it had hit the windscreen first and then went through the front of my Cammo cap. He was unable to get three bits of the round out and they remain there to this day. They are a source of the odd painful headache but that is a fair price to pay for still being alive. After a few days I was transferred to the Andrew Fleming Hospital in Salisbury to be nearer to home.

A section of the Greys Scouts followed the gang up and dispatched several of terrs. Not real compensation for the loss of a good man such as George but nevertheless it was something. My biggest concern was for the safety and wellbeing of the men in the Troop. My secondary worry was my Browning pistol. It had been covered in blood and as it was my own personal property I wanted nobody to take it away from me. It really needed a thorough cleaning!

While in hospital the government sent a senior fellow around to my parent’s home to inform them of my situation. Obviously they were shocked at the news. I am sure that they thought “Not again!” or something to that effect. Each time I had hit a mine this routine was followed by the government. The family were probably getting used to it.

While in Umtali hospital I received an unexpected visitor. Wendy Tulip was a nursing sister at the hospital and very kindly spent a bit of time to say hullo. She was the granddaughter of the couple who lived next door to us when we were living in Umtali. Wendy was an attractive blond girl and was enthusiastic about life and her work. Sadly, some years later, as our family crossed over the border to settle in South Africa, we were to receive the shocking news that the car in which Wendy was travelling (while also heading for South Africa for a well earned Easter holiday), had detonated a landmine buried in the tarred road and she was killed in the incident.

Recovery went well and after a while I was up and about. I was eager to get back to B Troop but there was no such luck. I had been transferred to Marandellas to take up a “less exacting task” as I was told I had now done my fair share. I must say that I disagreed and was somewhat disappointed.

I hadn't read this before Madziro and a truly great account it is. It shouts to me that when things were hotting up on a local basis the BSAP and Intaf guys just got on with it.
When you next buy a lottery ticket give me a shout......you are certainly one of the very lucky ones!

PostPosted: 2012.06.24. 15:21 
Core Member

My farming neighbor ran into hard times later in the war and decided to take a job as a driver for the Rhodesia Road Services driving a Leyland Octopus mainly from his base in Umtali down to Fort Vic. Ted Hulley was a third generation Rhodesian and as tough as nails. He had been a great help to me at times and was always willing to offer the best advice on farming matters. I must have spent hundreds of evenings at their house.

Some years after I had left Rhodesia I received a letter from Ted, and despite my best efforts I have failed to find it, but it was long and very interesting and recounted his experiences during a terrorist attack on his truck somewhere south of Umtali.

I hope I get the basic details right!

He was driving alone when ambushed. The truck was riddled with bullets and some of the tires were shot out. The truck started to slow and Ted could not work out what was wrong till he looked down and saw that he had been shot in the right leg and this was not responding to his trying to push the accelerator. He managed to drag his leg off the pedal and pushed down with his other leg. The vehicle kept going and after a mile or so he stopped to asses the damage. He applied a tourniquet to his right leg and started to change out the shot out tires. I think another vehicle alerted the security forces and some time later they arrived to do a follow up.

Ted spent weeks in the Umtali Hospital recovering from this ordeal. He later sold the farm to an African business man and his three children later left Rhodesia and now live in NZ and the UK. He and his wife Shirley are now dead, but I do keep in touch with the kids.

As I said I hope I got the story right. It was a long time ago now and I wish I still had his letter for reference. If anyone else knows of this attack please feel free to correct me.

PostPosted: 2012.06.24. 15:38 

Odz do have an approximate date and location for the incident?

PostPosted: 2012.06.24. 16:09 
Core Member

I am guessing '76 maybe. I will ask his kids.

PostPosted: 2012.06.26. 00:45 
Core Member

Got a reply from Ted's daughter.
Quote:
It was 1978 on the way to Fort Vic (Masvingo), my Form 2 at High School. We left the farm in 1976
Does this help. I tried researching on the internet but didn't find anything. It must have made the Umtali Post I would have thought.

PostPosted: 2012.06.26. 07:53 

Thanks for making the enquiry Odz. I'd wondered in case it rang a bell with my Ma. After we moved from the Eastern Highlands to Salisbury my folks kept in touch with friends from the area; I left in '77 so wouldn't have heard of the incident anyway. My old man was also a Ted.

PostPosted: 2012.06.26. 16:25 
Core Member

Nsipa wrote:
Thanks for making the enquiry Odz. I'd wondered in case it rang a bell with my Ma. After we moved from the Eastern Highlands to Salisbury my folks kept in touch with friends from the area; I left in '77 so wouldn't have heard of the incident anyway. My old man was also a Ted.

My old man was also Ted.....do we have a theme going here?!
Hope we aint talkin' bout the same guy :D

PostPosted: 2012.06.26. 22:56 

GGP333 wrote:
My old man was also Ted.....do we have a theme going here?!
Hope we aint talkin' bout the same guy :D
:lol: